Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Fun times!

We are back in Kansas! I can't tell you how good it felt to get home. I think part of it is not having to live out of a bag. Grace and Davis are happy to be back, too. They sat in Jasen's lap for a bit after we got home last night. The smiles on Davis' face were priceless. You could tell he was happy to be with his daddy again.

The rest of our trip was great. My cousin's wedding was beautiful. I had never been to Galveston before so that was nice, too. Anyway, the wedding was great and the reception was a lot of fun. Grace danced a lot! She did the grand march with her Uncle Clancey. In case you didn't know, he is a favorite of hers.

Davis was great at the wedding, too. Despite being up late and eating off-schedule, he acted like an angel. Only a little fussing. Oh, during the ceremony, he did try to nail the guests behind us with one of his toys. He has started holding onto his toy and moving his arm up and down really fast. Invariably, he lets go of whatever he is holding and it shoots out of his hand like a shot. You can imagine my relief when I realized the toy had only hit the ground!! We got up and stood at the back after that!

Before I forget, you wouldn't believe how good Grace is getting with her manners. It is like a switch turned on in her mind. She's very good about "yes ma'am," especially when she's in trouble. I guess she knows that's when it counts! Anyway, just now I was building a dog house (not a tent! she says) for her and she said "Thanks, Mom." Those are great moments!

Back to the rest of our trip, it was a great weekend because all of my sisters and my dad were at Amy's house. It's rare that we are all together like that, "qualled up" as my dad would say, and it was great. We had a belated birthday celebration for my dad's 60th. Egg custard pie for him, chocolate cake for the rest of us! Football season is beginning for my nephew, Randall, so he and my brother-in-law, Jeff are extremely busy with that. Jeff is Randall's coach and has been very successful. He even had another dad quasi-begging Jeff to pick his son in the draft; that dad said Jeff reminded him of Coach Landry. So Jeff has a new nickname! Amy is team mom and boy, I don't envy that job! But they all enjoy it. Reagan and Grace played so well the last couple of days. Oh, they had their moments, but it's all because we have some strong willed girls. They both have ideas about how they want things done! Reagan is a sweet girl, too, and Grace pushed some of her buttons. It made me mad at Grace, but I am not sure how to resond to Grace when she does that. Another parenting dilemma!

Some of the other highlights from the trip: two trips to DoubleDave's, Pappasitos!, Katie's dancing, my new "stylists," new Aggie gear for both kids, and just time spent with family. It doesn't get any better than the last thing!

Our trip home was relatively uneventful. Our plane took off from Houston late, but we were able to have a quick lunch with Katie in the DFW airport at, where else, McDonald's. Gag! But Grace was happy. Grace talked incessantly yesterday. I mean, she talked nonstop, ALL DAY! By the time we arrived home, I just wanted a break from her talking. While we were at DFW, I was in line at Mickey D's and I could hear Grace talking from across the crowded eating area. It was just nuts! We had a nice shuttle bus driver who helped us get our stuff onto and off of the bus. That was a plus, since the other bus driver when we went to airport just watched me lug our stuff on and off. I tipped the driver yesterday!

There are a million other things going on that I'll remember to tell you all. Today, we're headed to Target and then Jasen and I have a dinner at his battalion commander's house. It's for the battery commanders and their wives. It should be fun.

No comments: