Saturday, July 29, 2006

Houuuu-ston

Yes, we are down south, in Houston. Actually, Kingwood. The kids and I arrived on Wednesday. Our trip was uneventful, which means it was fabulous!! I have two kids that are absolutely great travelers, and I am thankful God gave them patience! Grace looked like a pro, alternately pulling and carrying her Dora backpack of goodies. She even carried Davis' carseat for awhile, then pushed him while I lugged all the luggage around. She was a huge help.

Davis did great on his first plane rides. He cried hard when we left the gate in KC and I could feel the tension from everyone around us thinking "Great. That baby's going to cry the whole way." Well, Davis whacked his head on the armrest, then got really hot and he would not calm down. But about the time we took off, he laid across my legs and I held his pacifier in. That's all it took for our little guy to be out. He slept almost the whole way. Almost the same thing happened on the flight from DFW to Houston. He didn't cry quite as hard when the flight was starting and didn't sleep as long.

We did have to change planes and terminals in Dallas. I was quite scared because that airport is huge and we only had an hour and 15 minutes. Thankfully, we had great pilots from KC who got us to Dallas early. And the Skylink at DFW ROCKS!! Oh my, we changed terminals in about 10 minutes. I couldn't not be a bigger fan. And terminal D at DFW is great, too. It's the new terminal and you know new is always great. Lots of eating places, even Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

Once we landed in Houston, I think Grace would have run off without me to find Randall and Reagan. At one point, she said "I feel it." I asked what and she said "I feel we're going to see Randall and Reagan any second." It was precious. I am so glad Grace has such a connection to her family, all of her family. When we aren't with family, there isn't a day that goes by that she doesn't mention someone she misses.

Of course, Grace hasn't been completely sweet to Randall and Reagan. I've been disappointed sometimes in the way she acts, I try to remember she's four and their older so there will definitely be some issues. All in all, the kids have played well together.

My dad and other two sisters got here last night. Today is going to be crazy. My cousin's wedding is in Galveston at 6. We have to leave here by 3:30 to get there by five. Davis usually eats at 4:30, which means he'll either take a bottle on the way or wait. And he usually eats dinner at 6, which means the wedding will be a challenge. Hopefully, I'll be able to stay for some of it!!

We're here until Tuesday morning, when we head back to Kansas. I've talked to Jasen a few times and he's been working like crazy. The 1st Infantry Division returns from Germany to Fort Riley this week and they want each unit to let them know how they are doing. So Jasen was at work at eight this morning and will be there until two, he thinks. Good time for the kids and I to be gone!!

No comments: