Monday, August 28, 2006

Great Weekend

We had an absolutely fabulous weekend. Friday night, the power went out here just about the time Jasen's grandparents pulled into Junction City. Good thing they wanted to take us out to eat and I wasn't cooking! It was one of those fluke deals, I guess. It was really hot and humid that day, so I assume the power grids were being taxed. Or that's what I told myself!!

Anyway, we rode into Junction and had dinner with Granny and Papaw. Grace had been asking all day when her Granny and Papa were going to be here. She says Papaw different than she's ever heard any of us say it and I think it makes Papaw happy that Grace has her own name for him. Friday was Granny's birthday so seeing the kids was a special treat for her. I am so glad my kids know their great-grandparents and can be a part of their lives. They are so blessed, we all are, to have five "greats" to call their very own.

Once we got home, the power had just come on. Then it was off. Then it was on again. Living on post sometimes is a pain! Then the storms came. Granny and Papaw left for their hotel during the heaviest rain. Jasen and I watched them go, saying "They should stay..." but they made it to their hotel fine. Slow going, but they made it there safely. We lost power two more times, but that gave us a good reason to get out on the porch and watch the lightning show. It was spectacular to say the least. I have never seen such lightning activity. Since then, it's still been humid, but cooler, so that's good!

Saturday, Granny and Papaw came for breakfast. We had a big one and it was great. They also gave us a large, framed and matted picture of Jasen's mom. It is absolutely beautiful and perfect. We love it and have it up already. Grace loves to go by and say "Granma Lori!" She was a beautiful woman and there isn't a day that goes by that she isn't missed in this house. Even by Grace, whose memories of her must be cloudy. Jasen won't talk about it much, but I know there are times the pain is palpable. Being around Granny and Papaw is good for him and I think it's good for them, too.

We spent the rest of Saturday with Granny and Papaw. We ate out again and again, which was fine by us and I hope okay with them! It was good just to visit. And we love having people here at our home. When we're in Texas, there is always such a rush to see everyone. Up here, we can just relax and talk.

Jasen has decided the discipline streamer is cursed. He currently has a soldier who is AWOL and there was a fight between some of his soldiers on Friday night. He said he can't wait until this quarter is over so he can take the darn thing off!! Jasen has a tendency to act like the battery is going to heck in a handbasket but the fact is that he's been blessed not to have any isssues until now.

There was a big welcome for the senior ladies of the Big Red One yesterday. It was such a nice reception and reminded me why I am proud to be a military wife. Mrs. Ham, the wife of the division commander was so eloquent and sincere. She just reminded all of us in attendance what a wonderful "job" we have: to support our soldiers and each other. I was there with Julie, and was thankful to be standing with one of my favorite Army wives. It was a special time and brought back special memories, mainly of our time in Germany. That whole experience was just such a blessing. Sometimes I am just overwhelmed with gratefulness with how God used that time to grow us and bless us. Listening to the ladies speak yesterday, I was reminded of so many friends that I miss and how many wonderful, sad, fabulous, funny times we shared. It was a special day.

No comments: