Thursday, October 23, 2008

Long Week, Long Weekend

Actually, I don't know that this week has been so long as just really busy. On Monday, well, looking at the calendar, I have nothing special written down. But I did take Davis to the doctor. He has a viral infection, with those same spots that were once diagnosed as a weird case of chicken pox. The pediatrician told me that's just how Davis' body reacts to infection. Anyway, the doctor had to take out a lot of nasty ear wax which freaked me out, but the doctor said not to worry. Since that time, Davis has been fighting a nasty cold. Bad congestion, horrible cough, etc. Today, he seems much improved but he's going to stay home from school anyway. Evidently, on Tuesday at his school (he wasn't there), his class only had two kids well enough to be there. We'll take this day off then head back next Tuesday.

Funny story about the doctor's appointment: when I called at 7:30, on the way to take Grace to school, the scheduler asked when we could be there. I asked what her first appointment was, to which she answered 7:45. Um, no, we can't make that one. She had another one at 8:25, so I took that one. Davis and I went to the doctor looking so unkempt. I hadn't showered, had on my comfy pants and T-shirt. Which means, they look ratty! Davis wasn't much better but he's cuter so he could pull it off!

Tuesday was a whopper. We picked up my friend, Susan Hayes' daughter, Sarah, and showed her around town. Sarah is marrying Hadder, who goes to Charleston Southern. So she'll be moving down here after the wedding in March. Sarah is a sweet girl from a great family so it was my pleasure to take her around. We spent all day driving, then went to the mall after we picked Grace up from school.

That night, I had an ROTC wives' dinner at Basil. Newsflash: I LOVE Thai food! Have no idea what I ate (Poo See Gu?? Does that sound right??) but I really liked it. I enjoyed most of the company, so that was good. Also, I finally got tired of hearing the Republican Right rhetoric, especially when they were talking smack about Gen. Powell. So I spoke up. Yea for me! You know, I get put in awful positions because I am undecided about who I am going to vote for. I am unhappy with both candidates and yet, I find myself defending one or the other to the militant people who refuse to see any benefit from their favorite's opponent. It gets annoying. Anyone else out there like me??

Yesterday, Jasen took the morning off from work to stay with Davis while I went to see Junie B. Jones with Grace and her class. It was so much fun! Grace and I have read Junie B. forever. We read all the kindergarten books while Grace was in kindergarten and we are currently going through the 1st grade books. There is a travelling play going around the country that combines some of the stories from the 1st grade books. I had a blast with Grace and her classmates. I also got to meet some of the other parents. I was pleasantly surprised that Grace's class had four dads who went, too. I thought that was cool. After the play, we had lunch out on the front lawn of the symphony auditorium. It was a gorgeous day so it was quite enjoyable!

When I returned home, it was time for Jasen to go back to work. Last night, we both commented on how this week, we've been passing in the hall as we ran to our various activities. That's not unusual for Jasen, but for me, it's weird because usually, I am not that busy with my own stuff.

Last night, I actually did the grilling here at the Graham house. At five, Jasen wasn't home yet, so I got the pork tenderloin out and took care of all of dinner. I think it blessed Jasen because he got to come right in, sit right down, and eat. He's quite the grillmaster around here and I know he likes it, but it's sometimes nice to come in and not have to do it.

After we got the kids in bed, Jasen and I watched a great movie called "Once." Oh, it was awesome. Very melancholy (hey, it's Irish, what do you expect??), but we loved it. All about two songwriters and the music they make. You know, that's probably my biggest dream; I wish God had given me that talent of instrument playing and songwriting.

Today, Jasen leaves us until Sunday afternoon. Tonight, he'll be at The Citadel, doing a little extra duty. No, it's not punishment. Just a way for him to make a little extra cash. Then tomorrow evening, they head out with the cadets for a field problem. You gotta love ROTC field problems: they are just over the weekend! So he won't be gone long.

Tomorrow, Grace has the day off from school. We've already discussed sleeping in; now if we could just get Davis to do it!

No comments: