Grandmama left this morning. We had a great time with her. It's always nice, when you know almost no one in a new town, to welcome someone you know! The kids will really miss her. I know tomorrow morning, Davis will ask for "Gwama" and I'll be sad.
Picking up where I left off, we went to Fort Sumter on Saturday. You take a boat out to the island, which was the first place the Union was fired on to begin the Civil War. It was awesome to go see the old cannons, especially with my very own cannoneer/artilleryman, Jasen. One of the park rangers told us the history and it was quite entertaining. The boat trip was fun. The kids really liked that part.
As we were getting off, a man stopped to offer to take our picture and you won't believe it, he LIVES in Stephenville!! Yes, the same town my mom lives in, the same town I grew up in, the same town Jasen went to college in! It was too funny and we spent some time talking to Woody Gill!
After the boat tour, we went to Battery Park, a park full of cannons on the waterfront. It's a gorgeous place, with huge oak trees and great houses behind it. Grace climbed on every cannon, with Davis trailing behind. The funniest thing happened there, too. Grace had shimmied up some pole thing attached to a cannon and there was a ledge for Davis to stand on. I got the camera out and took the first picture. Grace wasn't looking so I had to take another. Just as I snapped the picture, Davis lifted up his outside leg and grabbed his crotch. It was too funny and so random. Boys!!
We came home that night and ate some spicy island shrimp which was delish. Then we hit the hay. Sunday morning, we went to church. It was loud, again, but somehow, I seem to be getting better about it. I know it was too loud for Mom, but our pastor, Paul, was right on target, again. All about how we let our prejudices/opinions/etc. decide who we will tell about God. Great message.
Then we headed downtown to eat brunch at High Cotton restaurant. It was great. I mean, really, really, really good. It's a little fancier and I was afraid #1 the kids would be awful and #2 we'd get dirty looks for thinking we could bring kids in the first place. Neither happened. Woohoo! The kids had their moments, but all in all, it was a great experience. The food was divine, too. I would tell you what we had but there is something weird about writing out what everyone ate. Of course, I am a foodie, so it doesn't seem weird to me, but I am afraid all of you would think it odd!
Sunday afternoon, Mom and I had a girl's date, while the kids napped and Jasen mowed the lawn. We did a little shopping and went to see "Mamma Mia." Oh my. SAVE YOUR MONEY! It could be the worst movie I've ever seen. Or we thought so. Mom knows a lady from her church who loves it, but I thought it was awful! I love Colin Firth and used to have a little crush on Pierce Brosnan. It almost ruined Colin Firth for me (thank goodness I have A&E's "Pride and Prejudice" to redeem him!) and I will never look at Pierce without thinking of his awful yelling/screaming.
Monday morning, Mom and I went to do a combo workout with Justin. Yea. Not fun. But it's good for us, right? Then we loaded up and took the kids to Kiawah Island to the beach. It was by far my favorite beach. It was beautiful, hidden and not very busy. We'll be going back there for sure. Davis flirted with the water more, too.
That night, we went to Andolini's Pizza for some slices. They were great, of course. Which leaves us with today. Again, we were sad to see Grandmama go, but now, we're wading through laundry and housecleaning. More company, the Pundts come this weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment