Monday, July 14, 2008

Settling In

Like I said earlier, this house is becoming more and more like home. We've even grown attached to some of the critters. Yes, I used "attached" and "critters" in the same sentence. Not something I'd normally do! We have two green lizards out back, we usually find them hanging onto the side of the screened-in porch. One of them has a red throat-thingie (yes, very scientific, I know!) that he/she (not getting close enough to figure that one out!) blows out occasionally. Very cool.

We get a lot of sudden rain showers, living this close to the coast and with the HIGH humidity, so we have a lot of frogs, too. After it rains, they start croaking up a storm, enjoying the moisture. We've seen a green tree frog, just like on Diego, and regular ones, too. Oh, and one day, we opened up the hatch on Jasen's door to find a frog living between the door and the moulding! Can you imagine???

The other two critters we have in abundance are ants and spiders. Yuck! I am the official spider killer, although Jasen killed one just a couple of days after we moved in. When he came and told me the body was the size of his thumb, I told him that was a job for the man of the house. We are trying to teach Grace not to freak out, just to grab a shoe and hack at them, but she's still too frightened. And yes, I know spiders are good to eat flies, etc. but believe me, we have plenty of other ones to do the job!!

We have a tiny ant hill out in the back and two days after Grace stepped in a fire ant bed, she found the minuscule one out back, too. So the girl has a foot that has been covered in ant bites. Poor thing. And she freaks out then, too, running and screaming, instead of knocking the darn things off. Something else we are trying to teach her, too.

Oh, very exciting news: Jasen and I bought some bedroom furniture yesterday. Part of it will be delivered tomorrow, with the bed coming next week. Yea!

No comments: