Monday, July 17, 2006

Relaxing weekend

For those of you who have been checking for updates, sorry! Remember, I never promised how often I would post something new!

We had a nice relaxing weekend. Friday, I got to go on a Mommy's Day Out to Topeka. Jasen had both kids from about 9 a.m. until almost four that afternoon. The kids were great for him, as they always are. I had a nice time alone. I never realized how much I valued alone time until I had kids! I went to Topeka to shop, with one thing in mind: Grace needed a new swimsuit. Between lessons and playing outside in the water, we're always putting on a damp suit! Well, good luck finding one to fit my girl! I guess she is long-waisted because both the suits I bought her (one a size 5, the other a 6) ride up her little hiney. It's so frustrating!!!! Anyway, those will go back to the store and I'll have to keep looking.

On Saturday, we went with our friends the Heidgerkens to Wamego. It's a small town about thirty minutes from here. It is the home of the Wizard of Oz museum. Not much to the museum, really. Grace and the Heidgerken girls liked it but the adults were pretty bored! But we like to try everything the area has to offer. I doubt we'll return to the Oz museum; that block has been checked!! After that, we went to Alma, home of the famous Alma creamery. Never heard of it? Well, neither had I until I moved to Kansas!! The cheese was good, so we bought some.

Yesterday was church, of course. We had a guest speaker, a woman who had been a missionary for years in Russia. She spoke of the plight of Armenian Christians and it was extremely moving. It reminded Jasen and I of the big, big world that lies beyond our American borders and how we can't be reminded enough how good we have it here.

We also had a barbecue with our neighbors last night. We're glad we're finally integrating into our community up here. It's just been harder than it was in Germany. So many churches to choose from, neighbors going in a million different directions, so many choices in America that we didn't have in Germany. We had a good time. Grace loves our neighbor across the street, Ashlee. They agreed last night that they are best friends. Oh great, just what I want to get started!!

No comments: