Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where were you?

It's hard, with it being 9/11, not to look backward and consider where we were on that day. I was already working either part-time or consolidated work week, so I had to be at work early. I was watching the Today show before I left the house and saw that they thought a private plane had hit one of the towers. By the time I got to work, they were sure it was no accident and that it was a jet. I called Jasen after I knew he'd be home from PT and asked him if he had seen what was going on. He said he was watching it on TV. That's when they announced the Pentagon had been hit. Jasen said an expletive and hung up on me. I got scared then.

The rest of that morning was spent in a daze. Having a sister who was/is a flight attendant made my family especially scared. I wonder how many messages/pages/beeps Katie had on her cell phone; we were all in a panic about her. I can't remember where she was flying to from DFW, but she ended up grounded in Louisiana. I'll never forget how I felt when I heard she was okay. I mean, at one point, we knew there were no more planes in the air, so I knew she was okay. But it was scary not knowing.

In the next two days, I spent over 8 hours in my car, just waiting to get back on Fort Sill to get home from work. I had one really serious breakdown on the phone with Jasen. I had been in line to get on post for over 2 hours. I'd eaten my lunch in the car, drank all my drink and had to pee badly. Truly, I ripped Jasen a new one because of the situation I was in. It was awful. Little did we know there was a reason I had to pee so badly and I was such a basketcase!

After that calmed down, we were scared about what it meant for Jasen. We seriously thought he would be sent somewhere immediately or relatively quickly. We were just waiting for a phone call. We had been trying to get pregnant for almost six months when this happened; we decided we better stop trying because who knew where Jasen would be. Little did we know that our little "peanut," Grace, was already cooking up inside me. What a treasure. When we found out I was pregnant, we knew it was a reminder from God that He is in control and knows better about when things should happen.

The next weekend provided visitors, Jen and Jason, and one of the scariest/funniest moments of my life. Because the Karnes hadn't visited Fort Sill before, we drove them around to show them post. We drove past the commanding general's house and stopped. I even rolled down the windows and pointed. Wrong answer! We were stopped a few blocks away where I was asked to get out of the car and seriously thought I might be arrested and I had no idea what for!! Evidently, driving by the general's house, stopping and pointing looks suspicious! Jen and Jason said they had seen enough of post after that. I was so giggly and sweaty, I was ready to go home, too.

No comments: