Monday, September 11, 2006

Sick and School

I am running a sick house today; both of my babies are ill. Jasen had the crud last week and I thought we had all managed to avoid it. Then, Davis started running a fever on Friday. He hasn't been particularly congested, although he has developed a cough in the last two days. He's drooling a lot, so I think his might be related to teeth. He's sleeping with the humidifier on, just in case. Davis and I stayed home yesterday from church as a precaution.

Grace was fine until this morning. She got up and said she didn't want to go to school. I told her if she didn't go to school, she'd spend the day in bed. That got her going right quick. After she ate a couple of bites of breakfast, she said she was tired and not hungry. That was a warning sign right there; Grace always wants breakfast! After she got dressed, she laid down on her bed, then got sick a few minutes later. I think it's all related to congestion. Let's hope everyone is well soon! And I hope not to get any sicker. I've just had some congestion.

Grace's first two days of school went well. She loves Mrs. Peggy, of course, and likes the two boys who are in her class. A girl from her class last year was supposed to start in her class today, but her mom has decided to keep her in the afternoon class. So we need three more kids to sign up by the end of September to keep this class time going. I can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but Mrs. Peggy said she would probably combine the two morning four year old classes if we ended up not getting enough (she wants at least six) for this class. We'll see what happens; I am considering the afternoon class, too. It all depends. I am trying not to worry, but we'll see.

Yesterday, Grace and Jasen were dressed up in their Cowboy finery. Grace was yelling hard for the 'boys, to no avail. I didn't watch the whole game as I had a meeting. But I think Grace and Jasen enjoyed watching the game together.

My mom is coming up for Columbus Day weekend. We are very excited because that will allow us to go to the A&M game at KU! Our friends, Brian and Amber are going to go, too, as Brian is a KU alum. It should be a fun time and we are already looking forward to it. My sister, Angie, might come up too, but we aren't sure about that one yet.

Jasen's unit is very busy right now. Besides preparing for the field, they have command inspection going on. The big guns from 1ID are going to be inspecting every unit here at Fort Riley to make sure everything is up to snuff. Jasen's battalion is the first unit to go through this process so they are all a little anxious.

The 9/11 rememberances have had me all emotional this morning. Grace has been really confused and I've tried to explain it to her on four year old terms. It's hard to believe it's been five years. Then, I think back to that day. I was still working at "the Farm," getting ready for work when the first tower was hit. I was at work when the Pentagon was hit and called Jasen who was still at home getting ready for work. He hung up on me when he realized what had happened, feeling like he had to be at work immediately.

That night, with the fear that Jasen might be going to war soon, we decided to suspend our efforts to have a baby. Little did we know we already had our precious girl on the way. It's strange to think back to that time, when Fort Sill was all locked down and it would take hours, I mean HOURS for us to get home if we even went to Lawton. And we were so convinced that Jasen would be leaving immediately, then he didn't go to war for another two and a half years, not to fight Al Qaida in Afghanistan, but Sadaam in Iraq.

Replaying all of that in my mind reminds me not to worry: half of what you worry about won't happen anyway!!

No comments: