Thursday, April 12, 2007

Dealing with it

I am sure most of you heard yesterday that all Army deployments, including the ones that are already in process, have been lengthened to 15 months. That does affect Jasen and his unit. We weren't shocked, but it doesn't matter how much you prepare for a longer deployment in your mind. When you find out it's going to happen, it's like cold water down your back.

I am going to get on my soapbox for a minute; I am extremely angry about the leak that occurred yesterday before any of the soldiers or their families were told. It is inexcusable to me that ANYONE would know about the lengthening of deployments before the soldiers do. And do you know who told Jasen? I did. Because the news broke yesterday afternoon in the U.S., Jasen was already in bed in Iraq. Therefore, he got the news from me this morning, when he read my emails to our FRG members. I do not know why the media or anyone in the American public would think they have the right to that information before the people who are truly affected get it. And it makes me ill to know that someone who works inside the Pentagon, with soldiers everyday, would call a reporter to tell them. I hope Secretary Gates finds the leaky person and makes an example of him or her.

Okay, down from the soapbox. As you can tell, I have a little anger over the situation. Instead of directing it anywhere else, I direct it at the leak!

We were able to webcam with Jasen for a short time today, but it wasn't great. Davis cried almost the whole time, Grace was less than cooperative, my voice is almost gone, and Jasen was a little down. He said most of the soldiers were feeling a bit jaded today. What a shocker. I just don't know how they can continue at this pace. They are working seven days a week, with little or no time off, and they just found out that, guess what? they'll be able to do it for another 90 days. You can imagine the disappointment they all must be feeling.

When I think 15 months or 90 extra days or a few extra months, it doesn't seem so bad. Then I consider all the things that will be missed; Jasen will likely miss Grace's whole year in kindergarten. He'll probably miss two of her birthdays. We'll more than likely miss seeing Jasen promote (again) to major. Those are things that make this really stink.

I hope you all know that, as you read this, I am staying positive up here. But I know you all love me and mine and can bear to hear my pains over this. I'm busy listening to wives here and I don't have a lot of places I can talk around here. Again, trying to stay positive in public and for the kids.

Please just pray for Jasen. Pray for his state of mind and his leadership of his company. Pray that he'll be able to impart hope, courage, and strength to his fellow soldiers. Pray, above all things, that they will see the peace that only God can give in Jasen. Pray for all of those things for me, too.

Davis developed more spots today so we are off to the doctor tomorrow. Grace had a spot next to her mouth this evening, but I think it's from her licking her lips. I sound awful; my voice is almost gone, due to the cold I've been fighting off.

Oh, they are forecasting up to four inches of snow here this weekend. I AM TIRED OF WINTER! just in case you were wondering.....

Really, I am not doing as bad as I sound! :)

No comments: