
Whew! One change of command down, one to go! If the second goes as well as the first, we will be very blessed! Yesterday was a really special day. My dad and Jasen's mom's parents were here, so that was nice. We also had some friends come to the ceremony, too. The picture above is the beginning of the ceremony. That's the first sergeant holding the guidon. Jasen is on the right. LTC Gadson has his back to us and Brian McCall is facing Jasen. The public affairs officer for the brigade said he got some great shots that he put on disk for us. I'll get those up when we get them. I'll also send out all the ones I got soon.
It was very chilly yesterday morning, but it was bright and sunny. We were at the ceremony at nine and it started at 9:30. I got some pictures of Jasen and his lieutenants and one more of the 1SGT and Jasen. The first order of business at a change of command is the handing over of the guidon. The battery is standing out in front of the crowd. The battalion commander and two battery commanders (incoming and outgoing) march out to the battery. The 1SGT hands the guidon to the outgoing commander, the outgoing commander hands it to the battalion commander, then the battatlion commander hands it to the incoming guy, who then transfers it back to the 1SGT. It was moving yesterday, seeing Jasen pass the guidon to LTC Gadson, knowing his time as Alpha battery commander had ended.
Then they all march back and the speeches begin. LTC Gadson had some really nice words to say about Jasen. Then Jasen made his speech. It was really sweet and strong. He thanked the soldiers for the job they had done and he thanked the NCOs for their efforts as well. He thanked his lieutenants. Then came thanking the 1SGT. I choke up just thinking about it, knowing how very much Jasen has appreciated 1SGT Johnson. I don't know if I've ever seen a better one. I know I've seen worse, which makes me appreciate how much 1SGT has done for Jasen.
Then, Jasen talked about the kids, but not before he got choked up. He told them that no matter how hard his day had been, seeing them at the end of the day made it all better. I think he made most of the audience tear up with that one. Then he was very sweet about me. He gave me too much credit, but I appreciated his words nonetheless. I don't think I've felt more of a team effort from the two of us than I have experienced these past three weeks. We've been working together, not pulling apart, which is what we've done in the past. So I've felt really blessed.
Then, Brian McCall spoke for the thirty seconds he was given. They say the change of command ceremony is for the outgoing commander and the reception is for the incoming. Anyway, we sang the "Big Red One Song" with Grace singing proudly, the "Army Song" and then we were done. We had a receiving line right there and then that was it. No one was around except our family and Jasen's time as Alpha battery commander was over. For me, it was a hollow feeling, but Jasen said it felt like a relief. He hated to give up this command, but knows there is a huge challenge waiting before him. He's ready to take command of HHC so he can start facilitating some good changes. Be in prayer for him!
The kids were great yesterday. Grace sat on her granny's lap and Davis sat on mine. Davis started to get unhappy near the end of the ceremony, but when we stood up to sing, he was fine.
Tomorrow will be a little more stressful. The ceremony will be at 9:30 and we'll have the reception afterwards. That means I'll have to be up there preparing for the reception around 8. Then I'll rush back to get the kids and me ready. I think my neighbor is going to watch the kids for me. No rest for the weary.
Oh yeah, and after all of this, Jasen will leave on Thursday. No rest for the weary.
No comments:
Post a Comment