Thursday, October 26, 2006

All Done!

We are finished with the changes of command! It was pretty stressful, having two in one week. Now that they are over, Jasen and I both feel a great sense of relief. Yesterday, after we left the reception, we just took a deep breath because they were finally OVER!

My day started early yesterday. Up at 6, ready by 7. I ran to the commissary to get the cake and fruit trays. I'd already purchased the drinks. We also borrowed a "silver bullet" coffee maker from our church, which was great, since it was an early reception. Anyway, I met Jasen at the battalion conference room at 8. We set up with the help of three soldiers. Once the room was ready, I raced home where I got the kids and myself dressed. Granny and Papaw had come early, early and stayed with Davis and Grace so Jasen and I could get those early morning things ready.

We had about the same attendance at this ceremony as we did before. At least from our friends. We are so blessed to have neighbors who care enough to come to things like this. There were a few more higher-ups this time, notably Col. Gibbs and his wife. Col. Gibbs is Jasen's brigade commander. He chose Jasen, after some input from Jasen's battalion commander, Lt. Col. Gadson, for this second command. He is known by various nicknames by the soldiers and officers of Jasen's brigade. I can't print many of them. Let's just say that most of his unit fears him. I have never seen grown men look so nervous around their boss. It's kind of funny to me.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the incoming commander's speech is supposed to be short. As Jasen went to the podium, Col. Gibbs looked at me, then looked at his watch, making sure I knew he was timing Jasen. Jasen's speech took 24 seconds, which elicited happy chuckles from the soldiers. Col. Gibbs mentioned he hadn't been to one that short (which is good) in a long time!

After the ceremony came the reception. We had a great turnout. Col. Gibbs reminded me that we would be judged on our food. I reminded him that we might have had more to offer if the ceremony time hadn't changed four times, just in the last week!! He laughed. I am not sure he knows what to think of me. I am respectful, but I don't quake like most people do around him. He's also a tea-sipper (a fan of "the" university of Texas), which means we are always giving each other a hard time. Davis' sweater did have a little burnt orange in it, which I pointed out to the "Gibber." That's one of his printable nicknames. He was impressed that Aggies would put their child in any orange at all. Oh, he said our food was acceptable, except the cake wasn't all chocolate. Note to self: chocolate is good for the Gibber.

Oh, I didn't get any pictures from yesterday. I was too busy running around. But I have to tell you that Grace looked like a million bucks. I mean, really. I got her some black, white, and pink plaid pants from Boutique Target. I also got a velveteen blazer and pink tank top. She looked absolutely precious. When it was Jasen's turn to speak, she said "Okay, Dad, it's your turn." It was pretty funny. Again, she sang the Big Red One song loud and proud.

I am hoping someone else got some pictures from yesterday. I have some more from the Alpha change of command that I'll send out soon.

Jasen leaves tomorrow for NTC. It's only a month, but when I look at Davis, I am reminded how much can happen in a month. The way this boy pulls up, I would not be completely surprised if he isn't walking by Christmas.

No comments: