Friday, February 22, 2008

Naked Boy!

When I went in to check on Davis last night, imagine my surprise to find him buck naked in bed!! I wish I had taken a picture. He was all curled up on his tummy, legs tucked in, hiney in the air. What a sight! Thankfully, he hadn't peed on anything yet! I talked to him and told him I was going to roll him over to get him dressed again. He nodded in agreement, then was asleep the rest of the time while I wrestled with his dead weight! I will say this for the boy: he's good with those one-piece, zippered pajamas! I think we'll be moving on from those!

Grace is at school. Today was crazy hat day and she wore her furry pink one that we purchased at the circus last year. She was all concerned about whether I thought it was crazy enough. Somehow, my telling her that I would never wear it didn't give her much hope for craziness at the kindergarten level. She continues to amaze me with her reading skills. And she's learned to tell time and is doing well with her addition homework. Our girl is nearly grown!

For the past two days, I have spent a lot of time on the internet, looking at rental houses in Charleston and checking into the schools there. Unless we hear something different from people at the Citadel, I have narrowed down where I would like to live to two places: West Ashley (still a part of Charleston) or Mount Pleasant. Both map at out at less than 30 minutes for Jasen to make it into work, which is a priority to him. If he agrees to a longer commute, I'll expand my school/house search a little further. As with anywhere, we can get more house for the money the further out we go. But Jasen and I have to discuss that first.

Oh, I have to tell you about the precious gift I received yesterday. Jasen is quite close to his chaplain, Greg Thogmartin. I have met him and his wife a couple of times and wished I could spend more time with her. Sadly, for me, she homeschools their seven children (!!) so she has little time for social activities! Anyway, her parent's church in McPherson, KS, wants to help us out with welcoming home our soldiers so Julie came by yesterday to talk with me about it. One of the ways her parent's church has helped during this deployment was to send pillows to Greg to distribute to the soldiers over there. I can't remember how many they have sent during the deployment, but it's around 300.

Julie told me when she got here that she had something for me. She took out a quilt she made, along with their oldest daughter, Allison. It was made from the scraps from the pillows that her parents' church made. She said she made three of them and knew who she wanted to give two of them to, but wasn't sure about the third. I saw her and Greg when he was home on R&R at the commissary and she said that then, God told her that I needed the third one.

I cannot tell you how much this gift means to me. I cried and cried when she gave it to me, especially when she told me the squares were from the pillows that were given to the soldiers. She said she wanted me to think about this time "in the desert" when I look at it and to remember how much I did to support the soldiers and their families. I just cried because I told her I hadn't done enough to deserve such a precious gift. She told me that, at the very least, I had sent at least that many emails in the time our soldiers had been gone. I couldn't argue with that!

Obviously, Julie has a generous heart. I am blessed that she chose me to share something with! Again, I can't describe what this quilt means to me!

No comments: