
It's been so long since I last blogged that I had to look back at the last time I blogged to see what I had written. A lot has happened since then, but much of it has been of little or no real value or consequence, except for one or two things!
Jasen was promoted to major last week! It was very exciting and I will tell you that we both were anxious about it all week long! That week was very good for Jasen. He met Kix Brooks of Brooks and Dunn (country duo) and got to talk about Stephenville and when Brooks and Dunn came to play at Tarleton when Jasen was a student. Then Kix and the songwriter who was also on the tour played in the dining facility. Jasen said it was very emotional for him; the songs really took him back home to Texas, in his mind. I was glad to hear that Jasen is still in touch with his emotions even in a crazy environment such as war!
Anyway, that happened on a Monday, then Jasen had the long wait until his promotion on Friday, February 1. There is a DVD full of pictures and the actual ceremony itself on it's way to me and once I get it, I will find a way to post the majority of it. Evidently, COL Gibbs and CSM Champagne played a prank on Jasen at the beginning of the ceremony. That's notable because they aren't known as big kidders. Generally, they are known as mean guys who boss everyone around! But it shows their like for Jasen that they would have some fun with him. Jasen said there almost 100 people in attendance. Jasen said some really nice things about the people who have shaped his career and I am excited to see what all he said!
Since that time, Jasen and I have both been adjusting to the idea of him as a major. Jasen said he looks down at the rank on his chest and thinks "Am I really this respected, this old??" He's had an easy time calling some majors by their first name, a harder time with others, guys he really respects. He's even called himself CPT Graham! I remember when we were first married, major's wives seemed so mature and put together. The majority of them had three kids, with at least one in the upper levels of elementary school. They all seemed so seasoned. Now, I've joined their ranks. It's strange to think that there might be some lieutenants wives who look at me in that way! It makes me want to seem put together, even though I know I am not!
Last weekend was great. I went to a celebratory dinner with Nolly, who was celebrating learning that COL Gibbs will be the chief of staff for 1ID, which means they will stay here for their son to graduate and she'll be able to finish her master's. I was celebrating Jasen's promotion in the only way I know how: good food, good wine, and good company!! We had something else to celebrate: a lot of great press on Jasen's previous commander, LTC Greg Gadson.
As most of you know, he has been somewhat of an emotional leader for the New York Giants this year. He was invited to speak to them way back in week 3, when things weren't going so well for them, by a former West Point teammate of Greg's who is now a coach with the Giants. Since that time, the Giants have done very well and credited Greg's story with a lot of their success. Greg was named an honorary captain for their team the last two games, including the Super Bowl.
Due to the Super Bowl, Greg was on a lot of channels, including Fox News, CNN, ESPN, and was named ABCNews' person of the week on Feb. 1st. I was able to TiVO most of what he was on and cried a lot. It brought back a lot of anxiety, but a lot of faith. Greg is doing well and through his injuries and association with the Giants, he's been able to show the world his positive attitude. He is an amazing person with an amazing ability to motivate. We love him dearly and are so excited for him and the Giants. He's probably going to get a Super Bowl ring.
So I guess although I said not much of consequence has happened, the two things with consequence were big. I'll try not to wait so long between blogs!
No comments:
Post a Comment