Tuesday, February 13, 2007

News from downrange

I received an email from Jasen today. It was by far the longest email I have received from him in awhile. Probably since last time he was downrange. He's in Kuwait and will be for the better part of a week. Here's just a bit of what he said to me:

I miss ya'll so much and it's hard to be here but I'm managing. The work we'll do is going to be interesting and exciting enough to still wet my appetite for this job. Yes Sara, I still love my job.

So I think he's doing okay. It's always good to hear that he still loves his job. It makes it slightly easier to handle the separation.

We've had an eventful evening of weather last night. First, we had rain about 4. By 5:30, it had changed to sleet. At 7, we had blizzard-like snow. It was unreal how fast and hard the snow was coming down. So school has been shut down today, the soldiers had a delay to come to work, etc. Grace is currently over at "little Ashleigh's" house playing and Davis and I will join them after he rests a little.

I am weaning Davis off the bottle. He's 13 months now; it's past time. Anyway, he's been a real pill this morning and I know it's because he wants his bottle. Tough stuff, I say! He has just cried and pitched fits all morning, which meant that, for my sanity, he'll be taking a morning and afternoon nap.

I know Grace will want to get out in the snow today, but I am not looking forward to it. The wind is blowing like crazy and it is really cold. I don't want her to feel like she's missing out since her dad is gone (Jasen did most of the snow play), but I don't think we'll be sledding today. Perhaps tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, Grace has her Valentine's party at school. Back in August, before I knew about the deployment, I signed up to be the room mother for the V-Day celebration. Now, it's just another thing I have to do. Davis will go to the sitter and I will spend the day in Grace's classroom. I am buoyed by the fact that Grace will be thrilled to have me there. At least, I hope she will be. Last year, she loved for me to come to school.

No comments: