Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Museum Trip

Grace and I had a good morning. Her class made a trip to the Geary County Museum in Junction City. Davis went to the babysitter and I was the only parent helping Mrs. Peggy on the trip. That sounds like a big job, but Grace's class is so small (only 5 kids total), there were only 3 kids that made the trip. So everyone piled into our car and away we went.

The museum reminds me a lot of the Historical House museum in Stephenville. It gave you an idea of what life was like about 100-150 years ago in Geary County. Grace's favorite places on the tour were the hat room (she chose a purple and red velvet number for me) and the shoe shine chair. Mrs. Peggy pretended to shine all the kids' shoes. It was cute.

There's a pretend train station in the museum. Everyone had to choose where they were going before they could get on the train. I chose to go to Fort Worth (don't ask me why!). Grace first chose South America! Don't ask me why on that one, either. It's not like we've been there or will be going there! Mrs. Peggy told her to choose somewhere in North America, and Grace chose Kansas City, so she could go see her cousin Joe and his broken leg. So she choose a place so far and one really close. It cracked me up.

Davis has been slightly less fussy the past few days. He's been sleeping better, which helps. I don't know why he was so unhappy last week, but he was. He's having a few tummy problems right now, though. If you don't change his diaper immediately when he gets it dirty, his little bottom gets so red and he screams in pain while you change it. I wish I could put my finger on what is making him so sensitive but I don't know what it is.

Today begins a week of "lasts" for us. Jasen will be gone by this time next week. You try hard not to think of it as his "last Wednesday" or "last..." but you can't help it. You just try to make the best of it. We watched the Sesame Street video on Monday night that discusses deployments. Grace got weepy in the middle of it, which made Jasen weepy. That night, Jasen and I discussed a lot of the feelings I am having but not talking a lot about. There's no other way to say it than it sucks. It's just that plain.

No comments: