Friday, January 26, 2007

Good Friday

We had a great day today. Jasen had the day off so we headed to Build-A-Bear Workshop. Grace was able to build a bear (and we did one for Davis, too), that Jasne was able to add a spoken message to. She LOVES it and can't put it down. Jasen had to be talked into the idea, but said more than once on the way home what a good idea it was. We had good Mexican food, too, which means the day was a huge success for me!

Things here just get more and more real. We've all been experiencing waves of emotion. Well, Jasen and I have. Grace talks very matter-of-factly about Jasen leaving, with almost no emotion attached. I think that's the hardest part for me; I know the pain she'll be feeling in just a couple of weeks.

Yesterday was the deployment ceremony for the brigade. You might be able to go online and see at least a portion of it. I'll check into that. Anyway, Davis stayed with our neighbor, Katie, as the ceremony was during his naptime. Grace and I got all dressed up and went. We sat with Jasen's new first sergeant's wife, Rozlynn, and had a good time. Everyone was crammed into one of the gym's on post. It was a real fire hazard, believe me! Grace was plenty annoyed with all the sitting and standing. They announced all the battalion commanders and sergeant majors, then announced Jasen and Sean (the new first sergeant, who insists on me calling him by his name; such a departure from the last first sergeant! Sometimes, I can't remember his name!!) as the command team for HHC, 4IBCT. Sometimes, I forget that this second command is an honor for Jasen.

After the ceremony, we hung around talking to everyone. It's really special for us because, although Jasen has moved on from the field artillery battalion, we're still so connected there. They are all so special to us and they never hesiteate to tell us that if we need anything, we're still "Proud Americans," which is the mascot of 2/32FA.

Grace spent quite a bit of time in Nolly Gibbs' arms. That's the brigade commander's wife, who is fast becoming a close friend, especially to Grace. Grace thinks Mrs. Gibbs is the best because she always has chocolate.

Oh, and we found out yesterday that our washer/dryer repairman is also the Junction City mayor. Isn't that funny? When he worked on our appliances about 16 months ago, I thought he was so nice. I guess the good people of JC think so, too!

Tomorrow, Jasen and I will have our last date night before he leaves. He called our favorite restaurant/wine bar and requested their best table (we've been there a few times but have no idea what the best table would be!) and waiter. We want a nice evening, for sure.

Okay, I feel a wave of emotion coming on. Just pray for us.

No comments: