Monday, February 28, 2011

The Church Question

Yesterday was church day.  There was no children's church, so both of the Graham kids sat the whole way through big church.  They were so well-behaved.  At lunch, we had our regular round robin question and answer session.  Every person gets a turn (or two) to ask a question of the rest of us.  Because we had just finished up at church, we had a Bible/church themed set of questions.  We discussed favorite Bible stories, favorite Bible characters and the like.  Davis asked his usual question, though: what's your favorite color? 

Although Jasen and I were both raised in the same denomination and thought we would continue in that denomination, our military life made that hard.  In our 12+ year marriage, we have been church of Christ, military chapel attendees, Church of the Nazarene members, and non-denominational. 

Our final question at lunch yesterday was what is your favorite church of the ones we have attended.  I loved hearing everyone's answers and thoughts behind them.

Grace had trouble deciding between two: our churches in Junction City, KS, and our church in Charleston, SC.  She loved the church in S.C. because they had a lot o fun  but also learned a lot.  She loved our church in J.C. because she learned a lot and had good friends there.

I was torn...because I have loved and disliked all of our churches. Our church in OK provided critical support and friendships during a horrible time in our marriage.  In Germany, I learned so much about God and what a true church family does for each other.  I could go on and on about how I grew to know Christ as my Savior there.  In J.C. I saw what a real church family LOOKS like: people of all different races, socio-economic backgrounds, you name it.  The leadership there was a TEAM, too, with no part bigger than the other.  Our church in Charleston was lively and energetic.  And our current chapel is so rich with knowledge from retirees and permanent party Army people.  People who are so wise, I just want to sit with them.  So no way for me to choose!

Jasen decided his favorite was our church in J.C. He mentioned how that church worked together, was a real team, had a missional mindset (both around the world and in J.C.), and created in Jasen a spark that started a new desire to learn. 

Davis doesn't remember most of the churches we have attended.  I thought I'd asked an unfair question for him.  However, his answer was the best.

Davis' favorite church is the church he attends every week with his Catholic preschool.  Jasen and I looked at each other, not knowing what to think.  When we asked Davis why, he said that the chapel has statues of people from the Bible and he likes to look at them, so he can see what people from the Bible looked like.

Is there a sweeter reason?  I mean, Davis and Grace have grown up hearing Bible stories over and over.  They have seen two illustrated children's Bibles since they were babies, with the stories being told over and over to them.  I can imagine Davis enjoys seeing the statues and seeing that the people of the Bible were real, not some animated version.  He doesn't care about worshiping them; he just wants to see that they are like him.

I am so thankful that my kids are learning how different churches work and the benefits of all.  Very, very special....

1 comment:

Katie Kilcoyne said...

Awww..Davis melts my heart every time. Nothing cuter.