The Grahams had a great basketball week at the beginning of March.
As hard as it is to be a military family, we have been able to go to some really cool things, sports-wise. One thing I have wanted to do was go to a basketball at Allen Fieldhouse. For those of you who aren't big sports people, Dr. James Naismith was the creator of basketball. He coached at KU and his protege was "Phog" Allen, who Allen Fieldhouse was named for. With so much history there, you can see why I wanted to attend a game there.
Also, KU is known for it's basketball program and for the atmosphere at Allen Fieldhouse. Our family has seen the "Rock, Chalk" cheer at football games, but we'd been told that to hear it indoors was a completely different experience. I was sold!
Jasen gave me the go ahead and I got tickets for the A&M men's game at Allen Fieldhouse. It was my Valentine's Day present. Jasen and I went early and had the best pizza in Kansas at a place in Lawrence. Yum!! Then we parked in the Islamic Student Center parking lot and hiked up to the fieldhouse. Inside the fieldhouse, they have all kinds of memorabilia dedicated to all KU sports, but a lot of info on their superior basketball program. Did you know that Naismith was also the inventor of the football helmet? He got tired of getting hit in the head, cut a football in half, and put it on his head for protection. I couldn't resist taking some cool, yet cheesy photos.
 |
| A picture of the inventor himself, Dr. James Naismith |
 |
| Think mine or Jasen's hands might measure up? |
 |
| Think again! |
 |
| Pretty sure it doesn't measure up to the current standards or cost! |
 |
| Did you know Gale Sayers, of the movie (and book) "Brian's Song" went to KU? |
 |
| Now, a little trivia. Do you know who this young man with the large schnoz is? Answer at the end of this post... |
 |
| A nice security guy let me go take a picture right next to the court. We also saw the Aggies run right past us into the dressing room before the game. My pics were blurry, but we gave a big whoop and Gig 'Em! |
Allen Fieldhouse isn't a very big place to watch a ballgame. When you are used to Reed Arena (Aggieland), Frank Erwin (t.u.) and Bramlage Coliseum (K-State), Allen Fieldhouse is pretty small. But that was great for us because, although we were sitting in the rafters (literally, look at the pictures!), we had a great seat. I was just thrilled to be there.
 |
| So excited to wear our maroon at Allen Fieldhouse! |
 |
| See, we're in the rafters. |
 |
| To the right of us, there were only two rows past us. Behind us, there were probably six or so rows, but they weren't long ones. | |
 |
| This was the view from our cheap seats, which were not cheap. But we had a good view, regardless. |
Before the game started, the Jayhawks did their legendary "Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk" yell. It was awesome! And I'll tell you, those Jayhawk fans keep Allen Fieldhouse rockin'. It was cool to see the A&M coach, Mark Turgeon, introduced because he played college ball at KU. He got a standing ovation, which was cool. Overall, though, I was disappointed to hear all the boo-birds in the place. I am not above a horse laugh (you Aggies get it!), but I hate it when you boo the other team. Cheer for your own, but don't be ugly in a loud way. I mean, I'm ugly, but only whispering to my fellow attendee!
Here is a video of the "Rock, Chalk" chant. It's not as loud on the video I took, but believe me, it gives you a little chill to hear it in person in Allen Fieldhouse.
Before the game, they showed a video on the screen of the KU national championship teams. It was really cool. I had read somewhere that Coach Turgeon had told the Ags not to be intimidated, but to soak in the environment at KU. It was neat to see the Aggies watching the video; I think it showed a lot of class. Danny Manning is an assistant at KU, Larry Brown and Mike McCarthy (the GB Packers coach, whose daughter goes to KU) were also there. Also, Billy Gillispie was there, the dirty dog (as he's referred to in the Graham house) sitting behind the KU bench in a blue shirt. Traitor!
This would be a video of the KU fans "Waving the Wheat" at the end of the game.
That same week, the Big XII men's and women's basketball tournaments were held in Kansas City. I would have loved to go to every game, men's and women's, but we're not making that kind of money yet. However, they ran a special called "Daughter Date Night" at the women's games where the tickets were discounted and guess who happened to be playing? The A&M women's team versus t.u.'s women's team. Hello! No question about who was going to be in attendance for that one!
 |
| Our girls standing for the National anthem |
Grace, Davis and I went to the game. I loved watching our girls play. Run and gun, fabulous defense, and HUGE girl who can also shoot the three. By halftime, I think Davis could have gone home, but his mama had to stay to the end. During the game, Grace leaned over and told me she now knew what good rebounding looked like. Thank goodness! That night was the first time Davis had ever "Sawed Varsity's Horns Off." At first, he was way confused, but he got into the spirit of things the second time we did it. Our girls won and I was so proud of them, standing on the court, singing the War Hymn. I am also happy to report that our cheerleaders/dance team did not have on maroon velour. Thank goodness!
 |
| Gig 'Em Aggies! Whoop! |
The next morning, Davis got in bed with Jasen and I. He reported to Jasen that the girls looked like boys. Sad but true, son.
 |
| And the answer to the question...Dean Smith! Did you know he went to KU? Pretty cool, huh! As soon as I saw his picture, I knew who he was!! That nose is unmistakable! |
1 comment:
REALLY COOL! Good for you for taking the kids for a great experience. Miss you.
Post a Comment