We had some drama here last night. Scary drama. As usual, I will use our blog to give the extended version of events.
Yesterday, Jasen had three of his wisdom teeth taken out. They weren't pulled out, they were cut out. He wasn't able to eat all morning long because he was going to be put under general anesthesia. The surgery went well and we headed home. Once we got here, Jasen ate half of a milkshake, took a dose of Vicodin, antibiotics and ibuprofen. All was well.
About 2 1/2 hours later, Jasen was starting to feel some sensations in his mouth. The doctor had told me that, although he was prescribing the Vicodin/ibuprofen for every 4-6 hours, on the first day, Jasen could have one within 2 hours, if he needed it. Since Jasen was starting to feel slight pain, he (and I agreed) wanted to stay ahead of the pain. He had another dose of Vicodin and ibuprofen with some applesauce and slept for about an hour and a half.
When it was time for the kids and I to eat dinner, Jasen wanted to get up to sit with us. I fixed him some more applesauce and tapioca. He ate the tapioca, then looked at me and said he didn't feel good. I asked him if he thought he was going to get sick or what, and he said he thought he might pass out. I told him to stand up slowly, and I would help him to lie down.
He got up, we were able to get to the carpet of our entry and he went down. He was already kind of crouching, so he didn't fall far, didn't hit anything, etc. Because he'd taken the gauze out of his mouth, there was blood coming from his nose when he stood up because it had entered his nasal passages when he went forward. He sat for a minute, then told me that he felt better and was ready to try again.
I got him up and about a half second later, he was out again, like a sack of rocks, and he fell into the computer room. That was okay because again, it had carpet. Remember, the kids are watching all of this from the dining room table. They see blood, see Dad falling over, passing out and they are freaked. There was screaming and crying. They were terrified and I didn't blame them. I was scared, too.
Jasen woke up again and was able to sit up behind our front door. After a minute or two, Mr. "10 Foot and Bulletproof" decided he could make it this time. I told him that I wanted him to lean on my back and I would walk him to our room. It seemed like such a good idea at the time. Wrong. As soon as he got in position on my back, he passed out again, slid back onto his knees, and fell further back, popping his head on the only hardwood floor we have in the whole darn house. It was loud, and it was scary.
At that point, the kids and I are all pretty freaked, but I needed Grace's help. Like the big girl she is, she ran to our neighbor, Hunter's house to get him. This time, Jasen didn't wake up very easily and it was scary. Hunter, who, oh, by the way, is about 5'6" and weighs about half what I do, helped me get Jasen to our bed, where he was passed out again. We got him up on the bed and Hunter remembered that our other neighbors, Tim and Marissa, are EMTs. Obviously, I wasn't thinking very clearly. Hunter went and got them and they started assessing Jasen. Thank God that they were here, or Jasen would have been in an ambulance because I didn't know what else to do.
At that point, I realized our poor babies were standing on our front porch, screaming and crying. It was so awful for them. Jasen said that after he passed out the first time, he didn't remember anything but hearing Davis scream and cry. Because that is so rare, it was scary for Jasen, too. I got them inside, calmed down, and we prayed. Poor babies. Oh, my heart still hurts for them.
Tim and Marissa were able to call the oral surgeon and Tim relayed what Jasen's vitals were. By that time, Jasen was sitting up on the edge of the bed, talking. After Tim talked to the doctor, I talked to Dr. Shelbourne and he said that with Jasen having no food, general anesthesia and all that pain medicine in his system, he was probably over-medicated. We agreed no more Vicodin until at least today (if at all...I hope he can just do Ibuprofen!) and for Jasen to get as hydrated as possible.
Our neighbors all left and the kids and I went in and hung out with Jasen. He was much, much better. Very concerned that he had scared the kids and pretty much wiped out, but much better. Poor guy. Vicodin does not agree with him. He's had trouble with it once before, when he was in college. Needless to say, I will remember next time to ask for something different. Of course, with the things I outlined previously, any pain meds. might have affected him this way.
Once I got the kids to bed, Jasen ate some more applesauce, drank more water, and took some more ibuprofen. He fell asleep and everyone, but me, slept like babies last night. I was awake off and on all night long. I guess I'd rather that than anyone else in the family having trouble.
4 comments:
Oh my!
How scary! Glad he's on the mend
Don't mean to laugh at his expense, but I love when you said, "it sounded like a good idea at the time!" No fear of him getting addicted to that junk, huh? Hope he's feeling all better today... go Advil!
Sara, I laughed every time you wrote about him fainting. I would be a horrible care giver! I remember once Christie Lewis fainted and I tried to catch her, but she was too heavy so I tried to guide her gently down, but she ended up falling and hitting her head on the corner of a speaker and going into convulsions. Her sister and I were laughing hysterically. I mean fall on the floor, can't breathe laughing. She was so mad at us! I'm sure one day y'all will laugh about it, too! I do feel bad for the kids having to see that, though. I hope everything has calmed down for all of y'all, and you are able to catch up on your sleep. I know how important it is! :)
Post a Comment