Thursday, February 12, 2009

Before I Forget!!

Before I forget, I am going to blog! Today, I was driving down the road, thinking about things to write on here. Then I got online and almost didn't blog!! I don't know why. Anyway, I gotta make myself do it!

Davis had his school Valentine's party today. He and Grace have been so excited for this holiday. I think it's because I let them make their own Valentine's. When we saw what was available in pre-made cards at Wally World, the kids weren't very excited. So we went and bought a bunch of foam hearts, glitter glue, and sticky hearts/jewels to make our own. I am the least crafty person I know, so I felt I had accomplished a lot, allowing the kids to craft their own. Grace's turned out pretty nifty and Davis' were more my creation than his. Oh well. He didn't seem to mind.

Grace came home yesterday with two Valentines from two boys in her class. We met her as she came out of school. She whispered that Jefferson had given her a special Valentine. Jefferson was standing next to her and he had an anxious eye on me. When I looked at him, he just blushed and looked away. When we got home, I asked Grace why the boys gave her an extra Valentine. She told me that they love her. Oh man. Life is going to be hard on all of us when she starts loving them back!

Today has been one of those days in the lowcountry that I love. After I dropped Davis at school, I was able to go spend some time at Magnolia Plantation. Jasen, the kids and I went there this past weekend and it was great. The only thing in bloom right now are camellias, but it was beautiful to walk around. They have a petting zoo there and we found out that Davis is his momma's boy; he did not like the free-roaming animals!! Jasen carried him around while Davis had the death grip on him. In the end, Grace even freaked out, when the "bocks" (her word for roosters/chickens who go "bock-bock-bock") were a little too confrontational. We also saw a white peacock. Anyone ever seen one of those??? They are beautiful, but a little creepy. We don't know if it's a defense mechanism or a "look at me, chick" tactic, but once they unfurl their tail feathers, they vibrate them and it's a little freaky.

Anyway, with the admission to the plantation, you can come back one time in the following week. Well, today I took advantage of that offer. I went and sat on a bench on the banks of the Ashley River. When people ask me what I like about Charleston, it's hard for me to put into words. But as I sat on that bench, finishing up a great book (My Three Fathers by Bill Patten), I just felt so blessed. The beautiful river, glistening in the early morning sun. The live oak tree whose trunk is almost as big around as Jasen's car. The Spanish moss (which is neither moss nor Spanish, right, Renee??) hanging down, adding a touch of drama. The wind whistling through the still-green leaves of the plants. The smell of the camellias. It just moves me and I feel so close to God. Life down here is just slower and there seems to be more beauty to enjoy. At least to my eye. I love it here.

1 comment:

StephanieG said...

i'm so happy you're loving life there! you make me want to pack up and move...almost :)

maybe grace won't love them back for a loooooong time. teach her to be a heart breaker!