Friday, May 18, 2007

Last one

The last catch-up posting...

Another update on the Gadsons,

Today, Greg had a surgery on his left leg. There were complications during the surgery and his left leg had to be amputated from the knee down. I am trying to be thankful he is alive and remember all the amazing things that amputees can do.

Kim arrived with Greg last Friday. Our Walter Reed "mole" Shelly reported that when she went to visit Kim, she was surrounded by family and friends. She sent an email to some of the guys downrange that said something to the affect that, if she would just ask, she felt sure someone would offer to brush her teeth for her. That's Kim-speak for "I have a lot of support!"

The kids, Gabby and Jalen, went to D.C. yesterday, along with CSM Will Huggins, the sergeant major for 2/32FA. From what I understand, Greg smiled when the kids walked in. He's in and out of heavy sedation so I don't think he's talking much. There's just going to be a lot of pain associated with the injuries.

We learned who the new commander will be for 2/32FA, LTC Mike Lawson, whose last duty station was Fort Sill. If any of you FA people know him, let me know! We want to know the scoop. He's stepping into a difficult situation and will have to be so careful and thoughtful during the transition. Please pray for him and his family, who will be staying at Sill.

Jasen seems to be doing better, but I am sure this news is going to hurt. He told me his job has been really rewarding this week, that he's doing something that really makes a difference. I am glad that he's had a good week as far as his job goes.

Sorry I haven't been much on the blog/phone calls/emails these past two weeks. Since Greg's accident, sometimes it's all I can do to get out the emails I have to get out. Please know your thoughts and prayers are so appreciated and comforting. Keep them up! It really does bring us all peace to know there are so many who are lifting us up in their prayers.

The kids and I take off for TX this coming Wednesday for a quick visit. We'll only be there about 10 days. During that time, I'll be taking a much needed trip alone to my grandma's. I'm looking forward to getting out of here for a few days. We need a break from the deployment.

No comments: