Yes, it's been a really hard week. First to hit was the loss of our home telephone and internet, which meant the loss of our most reliable form of communication with Jasen. We've been spoiled this deployment to be able to see Jasen about twice a week and talk to him almost daily via instant messaging. So losing that communication was hard, very hard.
Then Tuesday was the devastating injuries to LTC Greg Gadson, Jasen's previous battalion commander and mentor. Add to our concerns for Greg and his family concern for Jasen's previous first sergeant (who was in the Humvee with LTC Gadson) and for the whole 2/32FA battalion and families. It's been a really hard for Jasen, having seen Greg when he came in with his injuries and not being able to be with the battalion because they are at a different location. I could go on and on, but I won't.
I will say this, Greg is the closest friend that we've had injured downrange. Yes, he was Jasen's boss, but he and his family were much more than that to us. So this has just shaken the Grahams, all of us. Even Grace has prayed for Greg. She knew something was going on, with all the time I was spending in the bathroom on the phone and the nights I went to be with Kim. She asked me what had happened. I told her that friend of ours had been injured and she asked who. When I told her Greg, she said "Well, we need to pray for him." And that's just what our precious girl did.
Greg is doing okay. He's at Walter Reed now and Kim, his wife is with him. They have a lot of family and friends there with them and that gives us all a lot of peace. Also, our friend, Shelly, from Bamberg, is working part-time at Walter Reed and will be checking on them for us personally. It's nice to have a friend to check on your friend! Still no news on Greg's legs and there probably won't be for a few weeks. There are just so many issues there. Just keep praying. I will tell you that the last night Kim was here, I was able to go over and spend some time with her. She said that doctors won't make promises about Greg's legs, but that she promises he WILL walk again. She said she didn't know when and she didn't know how, but Greg would walk again. And I believe her.
Once I get an address for them, I will post it for you guys. You know how long days in the hospital can be.
This week has been so exhausting and emotional for us all. I can't wait for it to be over. I just wish this Iraqi nightmare was over. Only 12 more months to go....
One other thing, Grace had her kindergarten roundup on Friday. I am excited about the school she's going to and either teacher she might have is fine with me. I like one slightly more than the other, but they'll both be fine. But I've been emotional about that, too. I don't like the idea of Grace spending more time with anyone but me. So, who knows, maybe I'll homeschool. Well, I doubt that, but it's entered my mind! No emails, Bob and Polly Pat! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment