Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Labor Day

This past Labor Day weekend, our friends, Chris, Ellin, and Natalie Heidgerken and Pete and Mary Charbonneau came to visit. Let me provide the background, again!

After Jasen and I got married, we moved to Fort Sill, OK. Once we got there, there were three groups of new lieutenants: ROTC alum, West Pointers, and OCS grads. Because Jasen had gone to OCS, we naturally fell into that group. Newly married and green to the Army, I had a lot to learn from those ladies, who had been Army wives and just plain wives for a little bit longer than me! Truly, Chris Heidgerken, Mary Charbonneau, Sarah Kyle, and Maeve Dougherty were the first Army wives I had ever known and taught me a lot in our six short months together. One of the things I learned is to have a tougher skin! Another thing I learned is that the older you get, the better it is to be the youngest in the group. :) The BEST thing I learned is that, despite the miles or the years, my first Army friends will always be around. NEVER in my life did I think I would be friends with a schoolteacher from Iowa, a naturalist/animal lover from Seattle, a book editor from Philly nor a Maeve from Ireland!

Once we all left Fort Sill, we were scattered to the four winds. Jasen went to Korea, as did Shawn Kyle and Bill Dougherty. Those three wives (me, included!) went to be nearer to family. Sean Heidgerken went to Ranger school, then he and Chris went to the end of the earth, Fort Wainwright, Alaska. Pete and Mary Charbonneau stayed at Fort Sill. I can't tell you how many letters/cards/notes I received from Chris in the time Jasen was gone. I know she was pregnant, without Sean and bored quite a bit of that time, but she wrote me at least twice a month, sometimes more. I can't tell you what those correspondences meant to me.

From that time, we've been blessed to cross paths, some more than others. Between the five of us Army OCS/OBC families, we've had ten kids (Anna and Liam were already here then), been through at least 8 deployments between the five families, and moved countless times. It truly is a miracle we've been able to keep up with each other! Thank you, God, for email!

On the Friday before Labor Day, the 'Gerk girls and the Charbs arrived. Sean, sadly, had already left for his third deployment. But we were glad to provide his girls some distractions! The two families rented a house on Kiawah Island and we spent most of our time with them that weekend. We went to the beach two times, the pool three times and ate all of our meals, minus breakfast, together. It was a fabulous reunion, only incomplete with Sean's and the Kyles/Doughertys absence. Once we were together, it was like no time had passed. There's just something about "old" friends, the ones who know your junk, know who you really are, and fall right into that friendship despite the time you have spent apart!

Here are Pete and Mary. Can you see the rainbow over Mary's shoulder? It was so pretty!


Ellin, Chris, and Natalie Heidgerken. Just missing their man/soldier/hubby/dad!Me and my buds!


The 'Gerk girls and Graham kids

Aren't they bathing beauties??
Poor Pete got suckered into helping the kids dig a canal to a "tidal pool." By the time we left, water was finally starting to seep in. Pete was Uncle Pete all weekend. It's part of the role you play as a man with kids whose Dad is deployed! And I am thankful for all the men who are willing to step up and take on that role, if only for a weekend!

No comments: