Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Summer Vacation

Looking back over what we have done in the last month, I wonder when any of us have slept. There have plenty of nights we haven't had near enough sleep (last night, being one) and days where we were plenty cranky because of lack of sleep. But we are hanging in there, whether we have enough sleep or not!

I am going to back up to the 15th of June. Jasen left that day to go to Advanced Camp at Ft. Lewis, where ROTC juniors-about-to-be-seniors, go for a summer full of training. ROTC instructors from across the States go and train them. Jasen will be gone for almost 45 days, when we finally meet up with him Houston. Here is Jasen showing Grace and Davis where he will be while he is gone.

After Jasen left Charleston, we stayed for another week, getting ready for our big trip to TX. We harvested the rest of our tomatoes and went to pick blueberries by hand. Here is the biggest group of 'maters we got, but we left at least this many on the vine.
This was THE COOLEST tomato. Obviously, it was supposed to be two, but never quite separated.
Grace and Davis confer while picking blueberries. We love going to Ambrose Farms to pick fresh produce.We also went to the pool everyday and really enjoyed the last few days at home. I also gave Davis a haircut, which at first looked more like a scalping! I am getting used to it, though, and think it looks perfect for summer.
Then we headed west! Despite a leaky tire only an hour into our trip, we made it to Jackson, MS, where I had planned for us to spend the night. Then we got back in the car the next day for the relatively short trip to Canton, TX.

In Canton, we stayed with Wilson and Linda Wade. Wilson is Jasen's mom's first cousin and she really loved him. Over time, I have to come love them as my own family. Wilson and Linda have been extremely supportive and sweet to our family. We were at their house when their daughter, Allyson was there. I was so glad to meet her and spend time getting to know them better. We love our family in Canton!

After that, we drove to my sister, Katie's in Lewisville. I kind of want to skip over this little stop, only because Grace and I had bathroom issues. It's a long story and, believe me, you wouldn't want to read about it! We didn't sleep much there, but we did enjoy the time with Katie and Clancey, a side trip to see our friend, Julie and her and Jack's little ones, Jackson and Ryann, and a visit with Clancey's family, the Reddings. Sadly, no pictures from there...

Can I stop here to say how blessed we are to have so many people who want to see us when we come to TX? I don't want to sound egotistical, but we are truly, truly blessed to have such a great support system here in TX. I mean, what a great problem to have: how do I squeeze a visit in with one more person?

Okay, I am going to stop there, for now. I will write more soon!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that's where my brother is. He's coming home in 2 more days, though.