With the exception of one child, I either know or are connected to all the kids who are here. Elizabeth (Boo) is the daughter of a girl I went through preschool-HS and to church with; Ella and Vivian are the daughters of a boy I went to school and a frat brother of Jasen's; I played basketball with Chandler's mom and dated a few of her dad's friends; Charleigh's dad was a frat brother of Jasen's and knows a ton of people we know; Brinley's dad was at TSU when we were and also had a crush on my friend, Emily (I think); and Boston's mom was a friend of Angie's who I have known since she was a newborn.
Grace and Ella, Case's daughter
Davis and Charleigh, Ashley and Arlen's daughter
Vivian (Case's daughter), Hailey, Chandler (Shawna and Jody's daughter)
Brinley (Reggie's daughter) and Boston (Mikah's son)
Last week, we went with my dad to visit my uncle Brad. Actually, Brad is my dad's uncle, my great-uncle. He is the younger brother of my dad's mom, Wylene and was instrumental to us moving to S'ville.
The kids and Uncle Brad
Uncle Brad and my dad shoot the bull
Uncle Brad's longtime secretary (almost 50 yrs!!!), Joanna, allowed Grace to play on her typewriter.
Uncle Brad helps Davis stuff his pockets with penny candy. Guess where that candy ended up? In the bottom of Grandmama's washer!
Then, Uncle Brad let Dad know that the Savings and Loan in Stephenville needed an in-house attorney. Dad said it really helped him out because, like the job in Weatherford, it gave him a built-in salary while he developed his own practice. Dad and Mom decided they liked S'ville and the rest is history. Can you imagine I was almost a Kangaroo? I can't imagine how different my life would have been had I grown up there. Wonder if I would have thought Jasen was cute when he was senior and I was in 8th grade? Too funny!
Our visit with Uncle Brad went well and later that day, I went to see my cousin, Blake, Brad's grandson, who recently relocated to the 'ville with his family and is establishing his own law practice.
That same day, the kids and I took a stroll down memory lane. We toured the house I spent most of my formative years in. It's up for sale and sitting empty so I took the bull by the horns and went to look at it. It's changed but not that much. I got to show the kids my old room(s) and have a moment in each of them. We moved into that house right after my sister, Katie, was born, before I turned 3. It had all these windows across the front and our old house was around the block. I can remember standing in the windows of my new house, gazing at my old house, asking when we were going hom. My mom thinks she and my dad bought the house for around $50K in 1979. Now it's asking price is over $200k. Isn't that nuts??
This would be the living room at 1216 Meadowlark Lane
Grace and Davis pose on the front porch, where I had a few good night kisses. (Our door always matched the trim!)
On the steps
2 comments:
Oh, the memories at Meadowlark!
Looks like you guys are having a blast on vacation. We have missed you at church...Have a safe trip...Love, Marci
Post a Comment