Monday, April 23, 2012

A Very Special Birthday

Once again, I am backing up in my story-telling.  Last summer, Grace turned nine years old.  Not only did we celebrate her birthday in Stephenville, but we were also able to baptize our sweet girl.  What a great way to remember her 9th birthday.

You know those kids who are born with a "child-like faith?"  That's our girl.  Admittedly, Grace started hearing Bible stories pretty early, from one of the many illustrated Bible books we received before and after she was born.  We would read and re-read those books before bedtime.  At some point, we moved from the "no way the people of the Bible looked like that" illustrated book to a more human like illustration that asked questions at the end of each story. Now, she has her very own Adventure Bible, which is a must-have for older elementary age kids.

Our girl was raised in church.  She was welcomed into this world by our church family in OK, then moved to the chapel in Bamberg, Germany.  She started real Sunday school in Junction City, KS, and then went into the vibrant children's church in Charleston, then it was the Fort Leavenworth chapel. She has been church of Christ, military chapel attendee, Nazarene, non-denominational and back to a chapel attendee.

Grace asked when she was five how Jesus could become her savior.  She and I went through a prayer, with her acknowledging Jesus was the son of God, she was sinner who could not save herself, Jesus came to earth as a perfect sacrifice, was crucified and rose from the dead, all to give her a way back to God.  I am not sure there has been anything sweeter in my life than to hear my precious girl accept Jesus Christ as her savior!  The only thing missing was Jasen.

She had been asking about being baptized for a few years, but Jasen and I were not sure she was ready. Last school year, when Grace was in third grade, she showed even more interest.  Jasen and I talked together and with her.  We decided she was ready.

The next thing was where would we do it?  We loved our chapel at Fort Leavenworth, but I had a strong desire to do it in Texas.  Jasen wanted to do it in Hawaii, but I wanted her extended family around her, the people who would really support her in her walk, those who had already supported her.  Jasen understood: Texas it was.

We were blessed to have so many members of our family there!  Jasen's grandparents and aunt, my parents, two of my three sisters, my brother-in-law, Angie's boyfriend, and my niece and nephew.  Also joining us were my friend, Jennifer, and her kids, who have been actively involved in Grace's life.  Out of our closest family, only Katie and Clancey were missing.  I think that's a pretty good turn-out.

We chose to baptize her at Cross Timbers church of Christ.  That's where I was going to church when Jasen and I met.  We went there when we were engaged and went back whenever we could.  Their pastor graciously agreed to allow us to baptize her there, even though he didn't know us very well.  When we arrived, they had the baptistry all ready.

Because I am who I am, I had to say a few words before the actual baptism.  I thanked everyone for being there. I told them they were the important people in Grace's life, the people who had helped us guide her spiritually and would continue to do so, the people we hoped would be there for her throughout her life.  I feel pretty sure that's gonna happen!
 


Jasen asked Grace once again if she believed Jesus was the son of God, that He came to earth, was crucified and rose on the third day.  She answered yes.  Jasen laid Grace back into the water and it was done.  Our girl was baptized into the family of God.  What another precious memory!






 


 

After this memory was made, we went to Pizza Place, where we had pizza, strawberry cake, ice cream and presents.

Here is Grace with her cousin, Reagan


Blow out those candles, girl!  Mama wants some cake!

The boys in attendance: Tripp and Braden Karnes, Randall and Davis

  A very happy family! 
Can I just say how proud we are of Grace?  She is extremely kindhearted, sensitive and quite discerning for her age.  For her to love the Lord is such a delight.  She is our child, in whom we are well pleased!

2 comments:

Jeannie Guida said...

Grace is a very special girl. You have to only be around her for a few moments, and you since her sweet soul and kind heart. Great job posting momma! You have every right to be VERY proud :) ~ Jeannie

Jeannie Guida said...

I meant "sense" :)